Thursday, October 27, 2011

Just thinking..

Today dear a classmate shared a comment from Oscar Wilde with me from which I quote:

"all romance is based on deception"

I immediately thought that this comment could have been shared by Freud too.. you know, in the insatiable search  of our most beautiful human characteristics, typically in the darkest places. -Don't get me wrong, I still admire and respect Freud, I still think he was a tremendous genius for his time- but is it that frightening for humans to discover that love and relationships are a beautiful, enlightened part of our selves instead of blaming the "omnipotent" dark side of our nature? Would it be because we are afraid of being responsible for our mistakes and obscure relationships? Or is it the immense vulnerability and power that it implies? Is that too much for us to handle still?

My thoughts:

Yes, definetly, those relationships that are painful and dry our soul by so much crying.. yes, they come from deception, or.. well I'll change that and say "lack" or "need".


oops, class is over, to be continued..

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I have few questions for you. First, who is Freud. I think uninformed readers such as I wont get this part and will keep the question "who the h*ll is he?" in their minds until the end of the reading. The intro has a good but invisible hook, in my opinion. You put question that exist in heads of every human on this planet and especially in those who are in the relationships. Your answers are specific, I can even say very specific, but there is no explanations so far, I guess it is because the work is undone. Will wait for more thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All students need to know who Freud is because they will encounter his theories in many classes. One of the beautiful things about the internet is that readers can easily look things up that they don't understand. Laura, I don't think it's your responsibility to explain who he is unless you want to, but you could give his first name too, so readers won't get the wrong Freud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    Yesbbol: Sigmund Freud (1856-1939)is known as the father of psychology, he established psychoanalysis. He was a neurologist and a psychiatrist that developed the most important theories in psychology from which all that we know now, and all that has been constructed in this field is based on his legacy. Even though I personally believe he was a genius for his time, he based most of his theories and conclusions in sexual impulses and needs from the unconscious.
    I could spend an entire week telling you about him; however, it is a very interesting character of the history and I think you would be amazed by his thoughts if you research a little bit on him. Believe me, this wont be the last time you'll see his name.

    For the purpose of this blog entry, I just wanted do emphasize that, as Wilde does, he based human nature and behavior on supposed needs, in Freud's case, unconscious needs (or "pulsion" as you might see if you search for more information)in opposition to a positive view in which humans are totally capable of creating and having positive and enriched behavior as part of out nature instead of always looking for some dark human spot as the matrix of our actions, thoughts and feelings.

    I hope this helps you to understand my entry. However, do not stay with the tiny information I wrote here. His theories are much more rich and complex than any simple explanation, search on him! He is one of the most important characters of the past centuries!!!

    Thank you and let me know if you have any questions or problems understanding him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see now! Thank you for explanations. I am a person of interest and have never read any additional information unless it interests me, that's the reason why I know only the name of this person. I didn't get who he is without his first name because his last name in my language we spell and pronounce differently.

    ReplyDelete